Tips for Breeding Cichlids

Breeding Cichlids has been quite a past time for us, so I thought I would pass on a few tips. We've had a lot of luck with Yellow Labs and Convicts over the years. We have also managed to get our Red Zebras to produce a fry or two. These are three of our favorites, however most cichlid breeds can be very prolific.

For us, success in breeding cichlids has come from a few basic factors we implement.
  • We have plenty of hiding spots and decoration for cover
  • We add protein to our carnivorous cichlid's diet (Krill)
  • Use a separate tank for breeding pairs whenever possible
  • We also keep the tank temperature on the high end of the spectrum
If you plan to breed Cichlids, or any fish, you should pick the best of the bunch to maintain breed quality. You should look for color, behavior, and health.

Try to observe a fish for a time before you purchase

Some cichlid breeds are quite expensive. Higher end pet shops will allow you to put a fish on hold for observation. Check the fish daily if you can.
  • Note any color changes
  • Look for health issues
  • Ensure this fish is active but not overly aggressive
Breeding cichlids is a rewarding hobby for the home aquarist. But it is a hobby you should take seriously.



For Your Fish Tank Adventures
Click the fish to shop Your Fish Tank Adventures Amazon Store!


View Privacy Policy

1 comment:

  1. I love your cichlids. I used to breed Kribensis cichlids and traded them at my local shop. I miss them a lot. Thanks for following my blog, if you ever set up a saltwater tank, I'm here to help ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by My Fish Tank Adventures! Your comments and suggestions are appreciated. Please leave your site information so I can visit you too. Spam comments will be deleted.